9.23.2006

finding comfort in God's losers

For the last couple of weeks I've been reading through Genesis and I finished today. I've been thinking about the various accounts and people recorded in this book and I have been struck again by how screwed up most of the "saints" recorded in the Bible are. The patriarchs in Genesis have issues too numerous to list here and throughout the rest of the Bible the examples don't get much better. By and large God's people are portrayed as deeply and severely flawed.

I know I shouldn't delight in other people's failures but in many ways I do take comfort in the failures of the men and women whose actions are recorded in Scripture. I find comfort in them because they remind me that God is used to dealing with people as screwed up as I am. I am deeply and severely flawed too. It's so easy to believe that the gospel is true for other people and that grace is available for people who don't have my cold heart and corrupted mind. Then I'm reminded of faithful failures like Adam, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Peter and Paul. In them I find clear pictures of God's forgiveness and love going out to even the vilest offenders and I can see how grace is available for even me. I know this idea isn't new or original but it is one that brings my soul freedom from doubt.

It saddens me that many people view Christianity as a religion for people who are more moral than others or who have their crap together. It saddens me even more that many Christians help propagate this image. Jesus said he came to seek and save the lost, to bring health and life to the spiritually dead. This is the message I need to hear over and over again. From the dawn of time God knew how much of a loser I'd be and he sent his Son to rescue me and my fellow losers anyway.

4 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

Great thoughts Travis. This topic always makes me think about how we, as flawed Christians, tend to view other Christians, flawed as they may be, as somehow on a "higher level" or on a higher level. We put them on pedestals even though we may know they too are flawed. My, how many are the levels of flawed-ness.

How does this affect the way we should approach the world? Does it at all?

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think if we were up front and honest about the fact that instead of a monastery filled with saints the church is more like a hospital for the spiritually sick and weak more people would be attracted. it's also this type of church where true grace can be demonstrated rather than merely discussed.

i'm not saying we give up on the idea of living a holy life. that is one of the goals of the christian's life. however, Jesus was the holiest person to ever walk the face of the earth and you don't get a sense from the gospels that he had a "holier-than-thou" attitude. this resulted in sinners flocking to him. i don't think we can say our "holiness" is Christ-like if it's not as attractive as Jesus'.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. nice thought Trav, yup, I think that the preaching I hear is much more enriching when it comes out of personal experience and confession of imperfect self/ but John Wesley expected to achieve perfection. . . in this lifetime. Now there's a paradox that I don't get.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really amazing to think about. That kind of came up in k-group tonight, as people were sharing their stories. It's flooring to realize where God has brought us from, and how He still plans to use us anyway... amazing grace, indeed!

Oh, by the way... I think I just realized the second meaning to your blog name..? Does it have anything to do with the title of a Death Cab song? :)

We miss you all so much... I hope you are enjoying your time in New Zealand!! Tell the Reynolds hello for me. :)

Love, Kami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home