9.13.2009

don't call me reverend... seriously

Last night we had a joint worship service with most of the congregations of of our presbytery. My ordination was a part of this service. Three years after finishing seminary I've finally taken my vows, had hands laid on me, and received the right hand of fellowship from my fellow elders. In other words, I'm all official and in good order.

A few folks have made comments about what they should call me now. A few friends have jokingly mentioned the title "reverend." Let me say here and now, for public record, in unequivocal terms; I never, ever want to be referred to as the Reverend Scott. The title, "the Reverend" literally means, "the revered one." While I do think the office of Teaching Elder is one that is worthy of respect, there is an
important difference in the nuance of "respecting" versus "revering" someone. For Christians, the Triune God is the only one who is to be revered, not his servants. There are some acceptable titles. "Pastor," which simply means "shepherd" or literally, "one who feeds," is fine. "Minister," means "servant" and is also an appropriate title for my role. Never revered one though. There are too many people in church leadership today who have set up there own little kingdoms and who've sought to be revered. That is not who I want to be and is definitely not what I'm called to do. I am to be a servant of Christ and his people, not one who serves himself. The Scriptures are filled with stern warnings about false shepherds who use their authority for their own benefit rather than for the benefit of others. My calling is to see the name of Christ
revered, to see his reputation grow, not mine.

Anyway, just don't call me reverend. In fact I'd be happiest if you just called me Travis.

14 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

yeah!!!! congrats!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Lauren Walker left a post on my facebook saying congrats and Wooo hooo!

Same here Travis! I'm proud of you and glad you are all official now!

 
At 3:43 AM, Anonymous luke brad bobo said...

congratulations Travis, Brooke and Sophia. As you know, Travis, I don't want to be called 'reverend' either.


Blessings,

Luke

Hey, do you have the link to that Florida teen who streamed line his own death?

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous travis said...

thanks luke.

and no, i don't have a link for that.

hope all is well with you.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Craig said...

Way to go, Rabbi. Proud of you.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Sandra Oster said...

So glad I was there to see! As you are now my 'Official' pastor/minister, I am glad to know what to call you.
Congrats-Travis,
Sandy

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Neil E. Das said...

Congratulations, brother, pastor. Wish I could be there for a service to receive a benediction from you, not that I couldn't kind of before, but you know... :)

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Jeremy Ruch said...

Congrats Travis. We miss you and your family.

J&L

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Seima Aoyagi said...

Congratulations!!! Good insight for a title. I will be ordained in Oct, and would like to consider what you said. In Japan, official title is 'pastor,' but people call usually 'sensei,' which means 'who walks the path ahead.' Some truth is in it. But the thing is that anyone who teaches or leads are called 'sensei.' Karate master, congressman, school teacher, etc.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger david, kelly & sam said...

congrats!!!!! we're so happy for you!

i'll call you "The Rev Crev"

:)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger david, kelly & sam said...

or, do you like, "Crev, The Rev" better?

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous travis said...

hey all thanks for the well-wishing. we've been out of town with brooke's parents so i haven't been able to reply as the comments came in.

craig - rabbi is acceptable though some jewish friends of mine might find it a bit presumptive and/or offensive.
neil - the Lord bless you and keep you.
seima - i like the meaning of sensei, maybe we'll go with that.
kelly - please don't use either of those titles. seriously.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, travis! we're so thankful to God for the work he has done in your life and continues to do. many blessing to you and your family. we continue to pray for you and your ministry.
doods

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Congratulations and golly, we miss you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home