11.08.2008

3 days later: post-election reflections


I've spent the last few days listening to and reading the opinions of various sorts of folks throughout the country.  The responses to Barrack Obama's election victory have ranged from unbridled jubilation to unmitigated bitterness.  I've heard reasonable voices from both sides but I've also come across zealots both for and against Obama.  I don't have any delusions that anything I might share here will be new or original.  However, this event seems so huge that I think I need to comment at least to help myself process.  

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat and in fact I don't hold any sort of political allegiance.  Also, to the horror and disgust of many people, I did not vote in this presidential election.  Long story short, I chose to practice principled abstention because I felt that, while there are several positive things about McCain and Obama, my voting for either of them would ultimately have forced me to vote against my principles, morals, and conscience.  For that reason I was content to let my voice be silent and to accept the decision of my fellow Americans.  I say all this simply to point out that my reflections are not partisan in spirit.  

So, without further ado, and for whatever they're worth, here are some of my thoughts, reflections, observations, and musings on the election this past tuesday:

- First and foremost, I am simply glad it's all over.  I am tired of listening to campaign ads filled with vague promises and attacks based on half-truths.  It seems to me that election seasons tend to bring out the worst in many people.  Hopefully, we can all get over it now and get back to life. 

- We have elected a black man to be our next president!  I don't care if you like Obama or are completely opposed to his policies, you have to appreciate the historic nature of this election.  It was only a couple of generations ago that our country was still practicing segregation.  Not much longer before that slavery was still legal.  As I said above, I'm not an Obama fan, but I am a fan of having a black man in the highest office of the land.  I just wish it could have been Alan Keyes or even Colin Powell.  I digress.  I'm proud that my country has, at least in this moment, risen above the sins of its past.  The most exciting thing for me is what this will mean for the next generation of young black men, particularly those who have bought into false notions of what it means to be "black."  

- I was impressed with both of the speeches made on Tuesday night by McCain and Obama.  I hope Obama holds true to his promises to rebuild relationships and to work together with Republicans, though the choice he's made for his Chief of Staff doesn't look like a step in that direction.  I was a bit saddened by McCain's concession speech.  If he had conducted his campaign with the tone, spirit, and clarity of that speech he may have had a fighting chance. 

- Quite frankly, based on the ugly and vicious attacks made on Obama by the McCain campaign I'm a bit glad he lost.  I think it would have been unfortunate to reward such a negative and inflammatory campaign with victory.  In many ways the allegations and fear-mongering perpetuated by McCain's people are, I think, one of the reasons he lost.  As soon as he was nominated McCain became a Republican monster that did look a lot like the Bush administration.  In defeat I think he reclaimed a bit more of his natural skin.  

- I know everyone is trying to find a scapegoat for McCain's defeat and I think there are many goats which could be "scaped."  Ultimately though, I think time will show that choosing Sarah Palin as a running mate was one of the worst political decisions made in recent history.  All I can say is that I am thrilled she will not be the Vice President and can only hope that she will fade away into political obscurity.  I fear though that she won't.  If you're looking for other scapegoats I think the two best options would have to be Bush and Cheney.

- I hope that Obama retains his apparent humility.  I think one of the major flaws of our last two presidents was their egos.  My hope is that when Obama makes a mistake in office, and he will, he will have the decency and humility to simply admit his mistake without being forced to.

- Speaking of mistakes, Obama will make them.  He is not Superman, he's human.  My fear is that when he does fail those on the Left will ignore or excuse it like many Republicans have done for the past eight years.  My other fear is that when he fails those on the Right will magnify it and blow everything out of proportion.  I would hope that both sides would be able to treat Obama with graceful respect while at the same time holding him accountable for his mistakes.  

- It's funny to me how so many people can talk about president-elect Obama as if he's a messiah and so many others can talk about him as if he's the anti-christ.  The fact is he is neither.  I think he will fail to accomplish both the best and worst expectations people seem to have.  When his presidency is over in 2012 or 2016 I believe many hopes and fears about this man will clearly be seen as unfounded.

- Finally, whether I agree with his policies and ideologies or not, Obama is my president.  As a Christian I am called to love all people but I am also called specifically to honor, pray for, thank God for, and submit to those who are appointed over me whoever they are.  For a well-worded perspective on this click here.  It saddens me deeply that many Christians are reflecting the ugliness of our culture instead of the grace of Christ in the wake of this election.  Seriously, I just want to smack some people.

So what are your thoughts?

13 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Priscilla said...

Awesome post Travis :) I love how you present things so clearly and talk about both sides of the coin. I can also understand why you chose not to vote :)

When I heard that Obama was elected as the next President of the United States my response was 'wow, what an awesome day for African-Americans!!' Especially with all the turbulence that slavery and segregation wrought on the US and other countries not so long ago. Aside from the fact that Obama is a Democrat and the positions that he holds on certain things (not that every figure head the Republicans have are that great either, as demonstrated most recently by the nomination of McCain & Palin), I think it is still a pretty timely event and simply cool that a black man is finally president of the US. I also think the image of him & Biden is a pretty powerful one, a black & white guy united and at the most powerful positions of a country.

I really liked what you said about the whole mistakes thing, and I hope for the same thing too, that Obama will voluntarily admit to mistakes as he makes them.

Haha and I couldn't agree more that Sarah Palin has to be the worst choice of a political running mate in the history of US politics!

Anyway speaking of politics, I'm off to go vote at our own election in a couple hours :) I really really hope there is change tonight..

-Priscilla

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks priscilla.

i prayed for the NZ elections today. i think your politicians are much more fiery than ours. hope everything goes smoothly.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Priscilla said...

:) keep an eye on TVNZ's website if you like, they'll have updates every few minutes, with a result by midnight NZT.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Hey-- will you still be a U.S. citizen when you move to NZ? Or are you moving your citizenship?

In other words-- will Obama still be your president?!?

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ed,
obama will indeed continue to be our president. we will be obtaining (hopefully) a work visa for new zealand. that will allow us to stay for three years but doesn't affect our citizenship in anyway.

assuming all goes well, after our visa is up we will apply for permanent residency in NZ. this however doesn't change our citizenship either. that being said we will be striving to become as kiwi as possible as we seek to identify with and serve the community in which God is placing us.

if we have children born in NZ (highly likely), they will have dual citizenship until they turn 18 when i believe they have to choose one or the other. i could be wrong on that though.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like you. I agree. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Priscilla said...

I think how it works here (from what I've heard) is that for any future kids born here you would just have to make sure that they have dual citizenship before they turn 18. So if they have it before 18, then I don't think anyone can take it away.

I wish I could have dual citizenship with the US, then I could go work for a federal agency in D.C. over there... all i can get is dual with Australia (was born in Melbourne) and thats pretty much not even necessary for Kiwis.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Travis, I really appreciated your comments and especially the link to the prayer by Lignon Duncon.

Thanks!

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive, Trav - a dreaded political post on your blog! Indeed, change has come.

Your thoughts are good ones and ones I share, but why only post on the back end of things? You've always shied away from "taking a position" - why now?

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

craig,

i know my position of principled abstention is controversial. while i don't shy away from my decision i didn't want to say much before the election lest someone think i was trying to persuade others not to vote. i also did want people to think i was secretly rooting for a particular candidate.

i guess i thought given my decision on this issue it was more consistent for me to hold my thoughts until after the voting was done. i hope that doesn't sound like a cop-out.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Rebecca Manor said...

Thanks for sharing Travis! I agree.
-Rebecca

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful responses. and yes, travis, I want to smack some people! can I go second?

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice post as usual. I would add my own feeling of irony when I hear Obama fans speaking of their hero in the same tones they rightly criticized GOP fans for over the past few years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home