2.25.2009

flying with simon, pt. 1

Last Monday a friend named Simon took me flying.  Those of you who know me know that I hate flying.  It tends to cause great anxiety and stress in me and usually I spend the whole time contemplating going down in a ball of fire.  

This is why when Simon offered to take me flying I was initially hesitant.  I figured if I hate flying in a big jet then going up in a tiny Cessna would be torture for me.  However, I figured it'd be good to face my fear in a new way and I'm glad I did. 

I don't know what it was about the small plane but I actually really enjoyed our time in the air as well as taking off and landing multiple times.  My usual anxiety was nowhere to be found... okay, maybe there was some anxiety, but nothing persistent and nowhere near as intense as usual when I fly.  I'm actually looking forward to going again.  Anyway, here are some of the photos I took during the flight.  I have some more that I'll put up after Thursday's weekly pictorial Sophia update.










7 Comments:

At 3:12 AM, Blogger Jeremy Ruch said...

Travis this is awesome! I used to have to take medication before flying because I would have such bad anxiety. A friend of mine invited me to go flying with him in his small airplane and it solved almost all of my anxiety of flying. I'm glad that you you enjoyed it. Thanks for posting some pictures! We miss you guys.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

no way!!! can we be friends with simon when we come!? :)

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Those pictures are stunningly gorgeous. Good thing you waited until you moved to NZ to fly in a private little plan, cause the scenery there is much more excited than it would be in Missouri!

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Okay, hi, I'm a nerd. I meant to say plane, not plan. And exciting, not excited. Excuse moi.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Priscilla said...

wow cool good on ya Travis :) Simon took up Dad & Jonathan a few weeks ago and they loved it. i dont think i could do it tho ha - i only like the big jet planes!! where abouts did you guys fly over?

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we flew to great barrier island, then down the cormandel to tauranga, then up to auckland city and back to ardmore field. i'll put more pics up tonight or tomorrow.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow..seriously...that rocks.

Perhaps your anxiety in a big jet is anxiety about the unknown...in other words, you dont know the guy in the cockpit....he could have just had his last fight with his wife or stayed up wayy to late the night before watching infomercials...Simon, on the other hand, you know what that guys has been up to right?

enjoyed the pics,
nathan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home