9.30.2009

a prayer for my ministry

Unchangeable Lord,
When I am discouraged in my ministry
and full of doubts of my self,
fasten me upon the rock of your eternal election,
then my hands will not hang down,
and I shall have hope for myself and others.
You know your people by name,
and will at the appointed season
lead them out of a natural to a gracious state
by your effectual calling.
This is the ground of my salvation,
the object of my desire,
the motive of my ministry.
Keep me from high thoughts of myself or my work,
for I am nothing but sin and weakness;
in me no good dwells,
and my best works are but sin.
Humble me to the dust before you.
Root and tear out the poisonous weed of self-righteousness,
and show me my utter nothingness;
Keep me sensible of my sinful heart;
Sink me deep into penitence and self-abhorrence;
Break the idol of pride in pieces before the glory of your presence;
Demolish the tower of self-opinion, and scatter it to the wind;
Level to the ground the stronghold of my rebellious heart;
Then grace, grace, will be my experience and my cry.
I am a poor, feeble creature when faith is not in exercise,
like an eagle with pinioned wings;
Grant me to rest on your power and faithfulness,
and to know that there are two things worth living for:
to further your cause in the world,
and to do good to the souls and bodies of men;
This is my ministry, my life, my prayer, my end.
Grant me grace that I shall not fail.
- Adapted from The Valley of Vision

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Sandra Oster said...

AMEN.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Woah, that's a good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home