11.15.2006

the verdict is in

After several months of wondering if there was going to be a future for us in New Zealand we finally have a definite direction to move towards. On Saturday we were officially offered a call to come back to Auckland. I had submitted a proposal to the Northern Presbytery (a presbytery is the local governing body in the denomination we're working with) that laid out my thoughts on what a new church in central Auckland would look like. The presbytery accepted my proposal and invited us to come back and try to make it happen.

This decision is encouraging and exciting. However, there are still a lot of daunting realities to face before we end up back here. The most terrifying thing about all this for me is thought of being a pastor. I have long wrestled with God over this issue. In fact, when I started seminary I went into it praying that God would NOT make me be a pastor. I don't think this is a feeling that's going to go away overnight but I find comfort in the fact that throughout the history of the Church there have been many folks who felt inadequate to do the task God was calling them to and he used them anyway. Many have told me that a sense of inadequacy and unworthiness is in many ways a prerequisite for the role. I'm not exactly sure how encouraging this is but an old guy named Paul once taught that God's strength is best seen when he works through our weakness. In my case he has a lot of opportunity to show how strong he is.

Of course the good news in all of this is that I won't need to change my blog title any time soon

12 Comments:

At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, this has been quite the job interview! Excited for you, though I know you've not decided anything. Get home and let's talk.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I agree with Craig-- very exciting. And on you being a pastor: I can see it, and I'm encouraged by the thought. I'm also encouraged by the struggle; if you were presumptious about it, it should raise a red flag. Press on.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yuss stay in newzealand!! :)

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

craig & ed,
thanks for the encouragement. looking forward to talking in person.

ed,
i heard you just had some serious surgery. how's recovery going?

sue,
you make me smile. thanks.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEY! YEY! YEY! Praying for you guys as you prepare to head back - that the Lord would provide & lead in amazing ways (so that you can come back & continue to be "World Famous In NZ"! You know Travis I think in your time here you've drunk more L&P than I ever have in my entire life and I'm a "kiwi" :)

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks bonnette. i'll take that as a compliment.

ed, i have learned that you have not had a surgery. sorry if i was spreading disinformation.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Travis said...

thanks tom. looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Bailey Mohr said...

Congratulations! I'm going to miss you guys, but the blog makes you feel closer. I'm glad that you got some clairity and some answers, and I think that you are going to be a great pastor, b/c you are unlike any pastor I've ever known.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks bailey. that's actually very encouraging.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

travis, brooke -

Praise God. Praise God that He uses people like us (people who go kicking and screaming into vocations and locations we would not have chosen). I agree with Bailey that you two will make a dynamic duo in the strength of the Lord (Hab 3:17-19). I am happy for you two. And you have the right mindset; all this should make you shake in your boots or wet your pants or both!

I must get 'down there' to visit.

Luke Bobo (I have to sign my name because I forgot my blogger id & pw and because you know another Luke)

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im so happy for you to be returning to New Zealand. Ive been praying for you guys, I want to see you when you come home!

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on receiving a call, Travis and Brooke. That is wonderful. I pray that God may give you wisdom (He will) to sort it all out. Hope to see you when you're home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home