4.03.2008

12 years gone


Last Friday I landed at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport for a ten day support raising trip.  The last six days or so have been very odd for me.  It's not that they haven't been good, they have.  I have had several good meetings with churches and pastors out here and made some new friends.  I was also able to spend last weekend in Buckeye, AZ with my mom which was also good.  However, the time here is still a bit disorienting.  For those of you who don't know I lived in Arizona for eight years from the time I was ten until I was eighteen.  After moving back to Michigan I did two return trips to Arizona but this trip is the first time I have set foot in Arizona in over twelve years.  Many things have changed drastically including me.  The life I lived when I actually lived here was very different then the one I live now.  It's strange for me to drive past places where I have vivid memories of a life that no longer exists.  It's all good though.  These memories are helpful reminders of what God has saved me from and in thinking through all of this I'm fairly convinced that had he not intervened when he did I would either be dead or in jail right now.  

At any rate, I'm here for a few more days and won't have time to blog but I will be putting up a series of pictures that are loaded with memories for me.  I'm not going to explain all the pictures but if you know me and are curious feel free to give me a call or email and I'll fill you in on some of the details.

6 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis- I feel that same way often when I'm visiting in Detroit. It is really weird how it can seem like a totally different person lived that old life, but I have the memories of it! Anyway, it's good to remember and see where God has brought us!

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Dru Johnson said...

Yep, I get exactly the same way when I visit Tulsa. In fact, when I was last there, I was physically nauseous as me and my wife drove around town. All I saw were bad memories and shameful acts. It's good (so to speak) to hear you say it too.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dru & beth,

thanks for the encouragement and commiseration.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

I think in a way it is good. I'm sure we have talked about this in the past, but it keeps us from getting "used to" or "comfortable" with our lives. I am often reminded of my past with either the kids I counsel or from family members and I am always remidned how great and powerful God is. It easy to say we know that, but when it is this evident in our lives, to me providence is even more special. Miss the talks at Deney's and the "accountability groups". Still praying for you

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks joe. i think you're right. it's so easy to forget or minimize what God has actually done and brought us through. hope all is well.

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks joe. i think you're right. it's so easy to forget or minimize what God has actually done and brought us through. hope all is well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home