5.30.2008

austinizing it


Early this morning I boarded a plane and flew to Texas.  I'm here until next Wednesday trying to raise some support for our work in New Zealand.  After landing in Houston I hopped in my rental car and started my trip up to Austin.  About two miles outside of the Houston Metro area I stopped on the side of the road and picked up a young tattooed Gent.  Jesse is a 23 year old artist who is backpacking his way to California but was first heading to Austin to stay with some friends.  After a pleasant two and a half hour conversation which covered topics such as music, tattoos, comic books, movies, and politics; I dropped Jesse off inside the Austin city limits and headed to my host's house.  I'm now preparing to meet up with some old friends and have what they assure me will be a great Mexican meal.  The big excitement tonight of course will be the two-hour season finale of Lost.  I can't wait to find out who's in the coffin.

Anyway, from what I've observed so far Austin seems like a pretty cool place.  If any of you who have lived or been here have suggestions for things I should see and do in Austin over the next three days please leave a comment with your suggestion.

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could go see my sister! :)

Or me, in a couple of months (I'll be studying philosophy at UT).

You should check out the Drafthouse (movie theaters where they sell beer & food) - showing the Lost finale tonight in some locations.

The art museum on the UT campus is cool. Guadalupe is a road with lots of coffee shops and places, both along campus and further north (pronounced "GuadaLOOP", though). Hyde Park is a fun area, north of UT.

Lake Travis is also a fun place (with a great name), and there's a coffeehouse called "Mozart's" on the water that Jess P from Covenant told me about originally.

I'm sure your hosts can give more tips, but the city is small enough that you can probably drive it and figure your way around quickly. Have fun!

(I'm guessing you're staying with the only other Covenant grad I know in the area? If not, Josh W is there...)

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

colleen,

thanks for all the suggestions. i'll try to check some of those out. i'm not actually staying with a cov grad but i did have dinner and watch lost with the welker's tonight. i wish i would've known that the drafthouse was showing the finale. i've heard good things about that place and it would've been cool to watch it there.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Priscilla said...

I've heard Austin's a pretty cool city too :) Didn't get to make it there when i was in big ole Texas (had a connection in Dallas - their airport impressed me tho! and also spent a week in San Antonio). how was the Mexican meal? i really really miss genuine Mexican food!! i had some good Mexican meals when i was in NM & TX.

-Priscilla

 

Post a Comment

<< Home