6.08.2008

the avett brothers, columbia edition


We had the opportunity yet again to go and see The Avett Brothers in concert tonight over in Columbia, MO.  For those who might think we are becoming too obsessive about these guys since this is the third time we've seen them in about a year, there a few things to keep under consideration.  For instance, Brooke will soon be very pregnant and once she gives birth it will probably be a good long while before we are able to just go out to a show.  Also, we will soon be moving to the other side of the world (literally) where it's unlikely we'll be able to see the Avett's perform unless they explode popularity-wise, which would be fine with us.  All that's to say, we'll take what we can get while we can get it.

A couple of parting thoughts from the evening:
1. These guys absolutely rock and put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.  Go to their website and see if they're playing anywhere near you.  If they are, go.  No excuses.  Simple as that.
2. Drunk people make shows less enjoyable.  I'm all about enjoying a beer or two during a concert, but really what's the point of being obnoxiously inebriated and annoying everyone around you?  When you go to the show near you (notice I didn't say if) and you are inclined to partake simply know how to say enough.  You'll enjoy the night much more and so will everyone around you.


4 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Trav, where'd you see them in Columbia? The Blue Note? Glad you enjoyed the show.

 
At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, we were at the blue note. have you been there? it's a pretty cool venue.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Blue Note is a toilet. My wife and I drove 230 miles from southern MO and as we're going in I'm informed that my lowly Nikon D40 camera has now achieved the lofty status of 'professional' camera, even though many of the smaller digitals going in the door all around it outweigh it in both megapixels and zoom range. So it goes back in the car and we go in and have a seat. A thoroughly forgettable opener begins playing and we're periodically being pelted with small pieces of ice and pennies from the balcony, so I tell an overweight young security person and he mumbles "OK" and continues standing around. During the third song by aforementioned opener, a TENNIS SHOE comes down from above and hits my wife in the head. She gets the keys from me and tells me she'll wait in the car. I again tell security guy and get the same response. A few minutes later there's three security guys wandering around DOWNSTAIRS with flashlights, looking for a one-shoe-wearing culprit. I point out to them that it came from the balcony, and I get the same "OK" and they continue searching downstairs. Obviously, I'm not going to stay and watch the show while my wife is out in the car, so I go out to find her crying and pissed off. Now I'm even more pissed, and I know if I go back inside I'll probably spend the night in jail. So we drive 230 miles to get back home without taking in our 10th Avett show together. I hope to God that the Avetts never schedule another show at that piece of trash venue. I'm sure they put on a great show, as always.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sorry you guys had such a rough go. we opted to stand up front where there wasn't much danger of things coming down on us. while your service wasn't acceptable i was thinking more about the actual layout of the place when i said it was a cool venue.

all of that aside though, who are you and how did you find my blog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home