6.23.2008

summer lit









I realized awhile back that I wasn't reading enough fiction. By virtue of my line of work and study I'm almost constantly reading something but the bulk of this reading tends to hover around the areas of theology and biblical studies. When I realized that I hadn't read an actual novel in quite awhile I was a bit distressed. I personally think a good dose of fiction is one of the best ways to better understand reality and keep it in perspective. I also think that good novelists are able to portray truth and its implications as well as the consequence of actions much better than most theological writers. Also, as a person whose work is largely concerned with clear communication I think I can learn how to preach better by reading good literature. It's a shame to me that many preachers today ( myself included) don't utilize more creativity when crafting sermons. Oh, that there were more poets in the pulpits.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that reading of all sorts is good for the soul and it's even better if the diet's a balanced one. So here's the list of fiction that I've added to my already long summer reading list:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (finished)
How to Be Good - Nick Hornby (finished)
The Orc King - R.A. Salvatore (finished)
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley (read this as a kid and am currently rereading)
The Plague - Albert Camus (on deck)
Dracula - Bram Stoker (read this in high school and have been meaning to reread it for awhile)
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde (I meant to read this a long time ago and never did)

Are any of you reading any worthwhile fiction that I should add to the list?

9 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The Handmaid's Tale. By Margaret Atwood. Juanito and i both read it, and both liked it.

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read a review or something about that and it definitely looked interested. Maybe I'll start making a Fall Lit list and put that at the top.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis, I really liked "How To Be Good." Did you? I would love to talk about it sometime. I have read "The Handmaid's Tale" and thought it was good and challenging to Christianity in a way, well at least to poor versions of it. If you read it, I think you should do it as a double feature with "Children of Men," which has a similar premise but takes it in markedly different directions. I was going to do a comparative book review on the two, but only managed one on the latter http://www.catapultmagazine.com/in-the-flesh/article/imagine-a-world

If you like mysteries and want something lighter, though not pulp by any means you might try P.D. James' "Death in Holy Orders," which I rather enjoyed. Finally, if you read Tolkien, I would strongly recommend, "Children of Hurin," which is bleak (even depressing), but beautiful.

Now all that makes it seem like I read a lot. I don't, and have pretty much shot my wad, so to speak. Oh, if you have not read Sheldon Vanauken's "A Severe Mercy," do it. It is not a novel, but it reads like one.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

neil - thanks for all the suggestions. my list is getting longer and longer. i did enjoy "how to be good" very much. the end was incredibly depressing but i think that hornby is one of the most insightful writers around today. he does a particularly good job with male characters so i was a bit surprised that the main character in this book was a woman.

i do read tolkien but i've not read the hurin book. someone told me it was a pretty slow read sos i've kinda avoided it.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis, you are right, the end is incredibly depressing. I often say this phrase jokingly, however here I say quite seriously that in "How to Be Good," Hornby and his characters are "so close, and yet so far away" when it comes to the faith in this book. And in the book, Hornby is asking questions which Christians should be asking about giving and poverty and how to be Good, asking, yes, and providing winsome biblical answers as well.

After an inintial adjustment, Hurin is really quite a fast read.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks neil.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Rebecca Manor said...

Hey Travis,
I loved re-reading Frankenstein - it's so brilliant. I think for a fun read you'd enjoy Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin. Helprin has a magical way with language. It's long, but as one reviewer said "I promise you, this will be one of the fastest 500-plus-page novels you'll ever read." I also recommend "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver if you haven't already read it. Beautifully written, shocking, disturbing, but excellent.
Hope you enjoy your summer of reading...
-Rebecca

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Pride and Prejudice? :)
-Brooke (I can't remember my right login name and password on blogger because it's been so long since I've posted! Oops!)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Mother of Many said...

Ended up here through Craig D. I really love Nick Hornby, I must live in a cave.. I had no idea he had a new book out. Well, I could not stand the before mentioned book by Margaret Atwood. I would be interested in what you think. But if you are limited in your time for fiction, I think your time could be better spent. Have you ever read Michael Dorris, A Yellow Raft in Blue Water. It's amazing. Truly Amazing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home