8.17.2008

the quandary of postmodern man


A few posts back I mentioned that I had picked up the new Beck album.  In that post I also mentioned how well-crafted and thoughtful his music tends to be.   After several dozen listen through's my appreciation of the man has only increased.  In many ways I think the yearnings and questions in Beck's music are often representative not just of my generation but of all who've drunk deeply at the well of postmodernism.  While all the songs on the new album are quite good I think the title track is one of the most poignant.

Modern Guilt
I feel uptight when I walk in the city  
I feel so cold when I'm at home
Feels like everything's starting to hit me
I lost my bearings ten minutes ago

Modern guilt, I'm stranded with nothing
Modern guilt, I'm under lock and key
Misapprehension is turning into convention
Don't know what I've done but I feel ashamed

Standing outside the glass on the sidewalk
These people talk about impossible things
And I'm falling out of the conversation
Like a pawn piece in a human shield

Modern guilt, is all in our hands
Modern guilt, won't get me to bed
Say what you will, smoke your last cigarette
Don't know what I've done but I feel afraid

I can definitely relate to these feelings.  There are many times when I focus on the harsh realities of life and on my own weakness and failings.  When these things are all I see then life is truly bleak, it's like floating adrift at sea.  Fortunately there is an anchor that grounds me in an eternal reality which may not give complete answers to all the horror and indignity of the present realities but which instills the hope that they will be righted.  This hope draws me out of myself and the darkness of hyper-introspection.  It takes me past all of my imperfection and guilt to a place of healing, forgiveness and acceptance.  I hope this hope finds Beck someday and frees him from his misapprehension.

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.  For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.  We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:18-19

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful." - Hebrews 10:23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home