11.27.2006

favorite things, pt. 2

The cafe culture is probably one of my most favorite things about New Zealand. It is almost impossible to find a cafe that serves filtered coffee. They all serve espresso drinks. At first I wasn't so sure about this because I actually like my filtered coffee. I must confess though, I have been won over. The Flat White is my favorite coffee drink now and I'm not sure how I'm going to cope when we get back to the States and I can't find a Flat White anywhere. One strange thing about New Zealand is that whenever you go out for coffee it's really good espresso coffee but most Kiwis just have nasty instant coffee in their homes. The only thing I can figure is that they're torturing themselves at home so that they will appreciate what they're getting at the cafe so much more

Roundabouts aren't native to New Zealand but they are all over the place. There are a few of these in the States but we need more! Roundabouts work so much better than four-way stops. I hate pulling up to four-way stops. People go when they are not supposed to and don't go when they are supposed to. Roundabouts keep traffic flowing much more smoothly and you only need to yield (give way) at a roundabout so if no one is to your right you don't even need to stop. Another nice feature is that if you're unsure of the direction you need to go you can just go around the circle a few more times until you figure it out.


Okay you may be wondering why I have a picture of a toilet here but the fact is I really like the toilets here. It's not that they are more comfortable, or self-cleaning, or anything like that. The thing I like about the toilets here is that they are so sensible. Our American toilets waste huge amounts of water which is pretty unexcusable. We waste tons of water with our toilets while many people in the world don't even have safe water to drink or cook with. The toilets in New Zealand only have a bit of water in the bottom. It's enough to make sure everything goes down alright but not a wasteful amount. But wait, there's more...


There are two different buttons; one for a flush and one for a half-flush. You can probably figure out for yourself when you need to use which button. This makes so much sense and allows you to use less water when... ya know... you don't need to get much to go down.


From the bathroom to the great blue yonder. Another thing I love about New Zealand is how big the sky seems almost everywhere you go. The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa which means, "Land of the Long White Cloud." This is a very appropriate name since the huge sky is almost always filled with spectacular clouds. If you've been paying to attention to the pictures in my blog posts you may have figured out that I'm a big fan of clouds. Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. I'll do one more favorites post in a few days.

9 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Zealand blah blah blah ... Hey, I have those toilets, too -- and I live in St. Louis :)

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's cool. i guess when we're back in st. louis i'll just plan on coming to your house everytime i need to use the toilet. thanks for letting me know.

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

travis,

our fall lecture series was on being caretakers of God's creation and one of the speakers mentioned installing such a toilet in his home to conserve water. imagine that!

Luke Brad Bobo

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool.

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trav! I love clouds too- the ones in your pics are gorgeous, I bet in real life they're unbelievable! I don't, however, enjoy roundabouts! I remember we had them out east and I would get so confused and flustered that I nearly crashed a few times! In Scotland, they're everywhere too (but there I didn't ever drive!) I understand your reasoning, but I still have an aversion to them!
Miss you!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

This may seem a bit too practical, but ask what is in a flat white and have them make them here in the States.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My experience with roundabouts is only second hand through my dad. He was having a pretty rough time the year we were in England, so maybe his astonishing behavior was due only partly to roundabouts... but they seem pretty frustrating to me. Not as bad as "Michigan turnarounds" which drive me absolutely nuts - to the point of civil disobedience if only i was rich enough to afford getting ticketed every time i simply TURN LEFT AT THE INTERSECTION instead of stupidly continuing THROUGH the intersection, doing a U-TURN!!! and then cutting across at least three lanes of moving traffic to turn right... and then finally continue on my way. I'm a little bitter about stupid Michigan turnarounds. Especially when they're light controlled and i have to wait at three red lights just to turn left.

Oh... and the four way stop confusion is another Michigan artifact. In the other states i've lived, people remember the whole "people to the right have the right of way" thing. And they use their turn signals.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not just michigan juanito. people in st. louis have no idea how to handle a four-way stop. of course that's not saying much since they don't know many of the basics when it comes to driving.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard this "people to the right have the right of way" thing. I was taught that its, the first one there has the right of way to proceed, and all others proceed when all lanes they are traveling through are clear. Who is one right if the cars on on opposite sides of an intersection? Oh, never mind. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home