12.29.2006

rethinking christmas

In the days leading up to and following Christmas Brooke and I have had several conversations regarding the observance (or at least the traditional Western observance) of this holiday. The basic gist of these conversations is that we don’t like it. We have talked through how we might approach Christmas if and when we have children.

We have been in agreement since before we were married that we would never teach our children to believe in Santa Claus. This isn’t because we want to be stingy grinch-ish parents. We would never push other parents not to indulge their children in the fable of the jolly fat man. However, to us it seems a bit dangerous to encourage our children to believe in and have faith in an imaginary being. I realize that for almost everyone this is just a bit of well-intended fun but just because it’s fun doesn’t mean that it’s healthy for the development of children. In a sense, aren’t we teaching our children that belief in people you can’t see, and who are said to perform miraculous feats, is something you can cling to while young and naïve but it should ultimately be outgrown? How much of a leap would it be for a generation of former Claus followers to determine that Jesus is just a grown-up version of Santa? How much of a leap would this be since we hear more about Santa than Jesus during the holiday that supposedly celebrates the birth of Jesus?

My other issue with the whole Santa enterprise is that children (and all too often, adults) are being encouraged to behave properly because of what it will get them. I don’t have children, but when I do I want them to obey me because they love me not because they want to get something from me (or Santa). God wants us to act properly because we love him and because it is the truly human way to act. I also don’t want my children to think that if they are naughty I won’t love them anymore or that I will withhold the gifts of my love. I am a person who is naughty instead of nice everyday. In spite of this God forgives me, accepts me, and lavishes me with his love. I want my children to know that God and I love them in the midst of their most broken, rebellious, naughty moments.

Though I have other issues with him, I’ll leave Santa alone for now. Ultimately I think he is merely the observable symptom of a larger disease that has infected our observance of Christmas. The celebration of Christ’s birth on December 25th came about in an attempt to supplant pagan celebrations on or around the same day. In our times a more virulent form of idolatry has supplanted the Christian observance of Christmas. It seems to me that the god most worshiped on December 25th is the Western deity named Materialism. Brooke and I have both lamented our allegiance to this false god. Though we have tried to leave the church of greed we have found it difficult since the rites and rituals of this faith have been inculcated in us since our youth.

Brooke and I are wrestling with all of this and are struggling to determine what a faithful yet gracious response should be. It is almost certain that Jesus was not born anywhere near December 25th and even if he were there is no biblical command to set apart a holy-day in order to observe his birth. Part of the difficulty in responding to what we perceive as problems with Christmas is that we don’t want to alienate friends and family members who like the present form of Christmas. We also don’t want to suggest that there is anything wrong with exchanging gifts. So how should we proceed?

We’ve talked about the possibility of only giving one gift or just not practicing gift-giving on Christmas. Some friends of ours have mentioned the idea of giving their children three gifts because Jesus received three gifts from the wise men. We’ve discussed the idea of asking relatives to put any money they would spend on presents into a college fund for our children. We could observe December 25th as Annual Present Day and simply celebrate Christmas on another day. We could continue with Christmas the way it is and just try to add in more time for teaching, thought, and reflection on the birth of Christ. The only thing that’s not an option is ignoring our conscience on this issue.

I put this blog post up with much fear and trembling. I tremble not only because I realize I have probably not communicated as clearly as I would have liked in this long post but also because I realize how easy it would be to misconstrue these words as the ramblings of a miserly joy-killer or as the ultimate bah-humbug. They are not intended to be so. As a Christian I believe the birth of Jesus is one of the greatest causes for celebration. Too many Christians have promoted and accepted a view of Christian faith that is overly somber, bland, desiccated and lifeless and I would hate for our thoughts on Christmas to reflect this view of Christianity. Wherever we end up on this issue I would hope that our observance of Christmas would promote and inspire more joy, more of a giving mindset, more goodwill, and a more vibrant love in our own lives and in the lives of all those who celebrate the birth of Jesus.

I would really like to hear all of your thoughts on this issue. So please, let the comments begin.

12 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that for our family, we don't want to do away with Christmas altogether or celebrate it at a different time for a few reasons.

Celebrating Christ's birth is certainly not a negative thing, and i like having a month or so where i concentrate hard on teaching my kids all about that birth and the events surrounding it, just like i appreciate Easter for focusing on the death and resurrection. That's not to say that we don't teach and talk about those events throughout the year, but it's more intentional at those times. Like...during the month of December, we do an advent calendar i made - we add a charactor or detail every day and act it out and play with the nativity sets and make it real for the kids. And the kids LOVE it. First thing in the morning, they're begging to open the next window. It's just one way that i strive to make the season about Jesus and not the other stuff like presents and Santa.

I think that for our family, it's unrealistic to just forgo celebrating during the Christmas season. I have a huge family, and we always get together as a big group to have a Christmas party. I want my kids to be part of that. (I want to be part of that.)

That said, i don't buy into a lot of the Christmas stuff. We do not teach our kids that Santa is real, and have made a point of teaching them that he's just pretend. My kids are totally going to be the kids who break the news to those kids who still believe. We don't go all out with buying presents; we're not willing to go into debt to buy our kids the most desired and expensive gifts.

I could go on, but this here post is already too long and rambly.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Joe and Emilie Schelling said...

I tend to hate Christmas. What bothers me the most is when Christians encourage me to see the birth of Christ is Christmas. For 30 years I have not seen this aside from a few songs and plastic nativity sets.

Our boys know that there is no Santa, and I am very thankful that I do not have to hear the Christmas debate again for another year.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

karen - thanks for your thoughts. it sounds like you guys have a pretty balanced response to the cultural pressure. knowing you as i do that doesn't suprise me. i realize that i tend to be a bit reacitionary when it comes to this stuff.

joe - sorry for dragging you into the debate. may you have a blessed year of not having to think about this subject. :-)

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Travis, I hear your concern over teaching belief in something that doesn't exist. Perhaps you could consider introducing St. Nicholas into your Christmastime tradition as an alternative to Santa Claus.

We did the whole secretive Santa thing with my children, who by now have figured out that parents do it all, but they've not dedided that God isn't real; or that Jesus didn't really come to save them. They don't think that the whole global Christian tradition is a massive conspiracy to dupe them into behaving well. I think that would be a great jump and a big difference between believing in Santa Claus and believing in God is that God is believing in us, and God reaches out to us, and God sent the Holy Spirit and God sent his son. Santa Claus didn't do any of that, and I believe the power of the trinity will hold my children's faith longer any cultural celebration.

 
At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

travis,

thanks for bringing up the subject. i think you pointed out alot of really good things and that you wrote pretty clearly and in an unoffensive way.

tom and i have not really gotten around to talking about what we will do with our own children.i know that we will have to make these decisions though at some point and time. if and brooke come to a more distinct decision I would love to hear about it. happy holidays friend.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Adventure to Live said...

Travis

First, it was good to see and talk to you briefly on New Year's Day. Second - You made some really good points regarding how our children experience God's love. I know I do and will continue to fall short in the way's that I love my son. However I do not want to deliberately send the message to my son that my love (or God's love) is conditional on his actions. I want him to know well that there is nothing that will ever make me love him less. I think the naughty or nice thing goes directly against that - even if it is in fun.

 
At 4:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother Anonymous here (aka Luke) -

I skimmed, read, and finally printed out your blog and read it again. As a parent of a 18 year old and a 12 year old, my initial thought about the Santa Claus bit was, 'there are much bigger things to be concerned about.' We have played with our kids' 'imaginary friends' before. I had 'imaginary friends' I believed in as a kid. My grandparents tricked my brother and I to believe in an imaginary attic guest (and their house didn't have an attic). Gullible and naive we were but developmentally we turned out ok (I think). I guess the key is what do you mean by 'believe'? I outgrew these imaginary friends that I once believed in. As Christian parents, we attempt to train (or rather saturate) our kids in righteousness (Dt 6:4ff) hopefully to combat the unrelenting 'teachings' of this season. I think if Christian parents did more training, kids will get a clue very early about the folly of believing in Santa. Or rather, our kids will be discerning enough to know it is all imaginary. Steady teaching will ward off your fears about kids (and grown up kids) equating Santa with Jesus. Let me say our kids have not equated the two figures.

Yes, I agree we all have been smitten by the insidious and seductive god of materialism. However, you might want to define 'materialism.' Is materialism having a purse to match every pair of shoes? Is materialism having a ipod or other luxuries when one can not afford to pay essential bills (e.g., water, gas, etc.) Is materialism defined by what the ex-CEO of Home Depot received on his departure from the company (something in the millions)? Equally damaging is equating being less materialistic with being holy. In other words, some would consider being less materialistic as wearing a badge of honor.

I like your option that says, "we could continue with Christmas...and just try to add in more time for teaching..." with some modifications. For instance, I would change the word, 'try' to 'must' (it's not an option). And I would add that we should be very sensible about spending which is certainly not the Christmas way.

I am done for now.

Luke

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke here again,

And I agree with the "love for good behavior" transaction. Our kids already live in a world in which they are rewarded for good performance on standardized tests; they are rewarded for good behavior in class with candy, cookies, pizza, etc. The last thing our kids need is to be loved (or rewarded) for good behavior at home. Our goal as Christian parents is not to love our kids based on their behavior but to love them regardless of their behavior as God does for us. However, the real wisdom comes in teaching our kids not to take this as license to do as they please and take advantage of this grace (much like Paul writes about in Romans 5:18-6:1-2).

luke brad bobo

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis,
I am a friend of Eric Z and am hosting a Missions conference for our church. Can you contact me via email jcrowhurst@mchsi.com.

Thanks

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks to everyone who commented on this post. i appreciate your various view points and approaches to celebrating christmas. i hope no one took any personal offense at my thoughts for none was intended.

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis,

No offense taken, my brother.

Luke

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger La said...

hi travis,
keith and i also talked some about the christmas debate this year more than last...because our kids are getting big enough to understand christ, santa, presents, and the like.
we actually talked about celebrating christ's birthday on a different day, so that it wouldn't get "missed" in all the hype about gifts and santa.
in the end, we decided that we, as kids, loved the fantasy part of santa, and we want our kids to enjoy that imaginary tradition as well. I LOVED putting cookies out for santa, and seeing that they were gone in the morning, etc. Even when I was old enough to know that he wasn't real, I STILL put out cookies and stockings and loved coming down to see if he'd eaten them (or if dad had, when I was old enough to know the truth). I appreciate your concern about teaching your kids that an imaginary person is real....but don't you think....when they are old enough to question, that you can use that as a time to teach them the worth of fables, fairytales, myths, and the like? We are going to teach our kids the myth (or truth?) about how Santa was actually St Nick, a secret gift-giver, who helped others who were in need. I don't think that making Christmas fun or even celebrating Santa HAS to negate celebrating Jesus' birth. Can they go hand-in-hand? (Is that heresy all over the place?) :)
Can't we say that just like God gave us the most important gift of all, St. Nick also gave gifts to those in need? Can't we teach them the joy of giving at this time? We want to focus on giving to people in need during the month of December....doing Angel Tree, and maybe adopting a family who doesn't have as much as we do...and help our kids to pick out new or give up their own beloved toys to other kids. I am not terribly threatened by Santa and his competition with Jesus' birth, because hopefully....we are celebrating Jesus all year long and we only talk about Santa for a few weeks out of the year. Santa can be looked at as a good role model for giving.
Last....i am such a jerk...this is so long....i hate long commenters.
We also have friends that said that they only give three gifts at Christmas, because Jesus only got three gifts...I have a few problems with that. I feel like kids are gonna get pissed off if their lack of gifts is blamed on Jesus. Why not just say something like, "Mama and Papa don't think that it is very healthy for you to get a ton of toys that you don't need. These toys are really only going to hold your interest for a few days, and you won't be any happier in receiving them.....blah, blah...". Do you know what I mean? I don't think we should connect their lack of Christmas toys on Christ. Besides, if we wanted to really act on the vein, we would have to think about the quality of what Jesus received, and not just quantity, right? I mean, yup, He did get three gifts, but they were frickin' expensive ones! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home