3.08.2007

some major catching up

Okay, so there has been quite a bit that has transpired since the last time I posted. Instead of having this turn into a huge-long post I think I'll just summarize what's been happening and then put up some pictures. First, after the L'Abri conference I spent an extra week in Minnesota with our friends Denis and Margie. Good times were had and Margie and I were able to prepare for our talk on tattooing. While I was there they got somewhere around 14'' of snow. I actually like snow though so I enjoyed going out shoveling and snow blowing. We ended up heading back to St. Louis a day early to avoid another blizzard that was coming through. After we left, Rochester was hit with another 10'' of the white stuff. Last Friday Margie and I gave a talk entitled, "Art for Living, or Living Art? Tattoos and Tattooing in a Post-Everything World." This talk was a part of the Friday Nights at the Institute put on by the Francis Schaeffer Institute. The talk went okay. Margie was great but I didn't feel like I came with my "A" game if you know what I mean. I also wasn't thrilled with the venue. It was a really cool place and would be an awesome place to sit and have a beer while watching a small concert, but for a talk I think it turned out to be much less than ideal. Anyway, as soon as the talk was finished I hopped in a rental car and drove to Huntsville, AL. I encountered several crazys on the road, nearly died in a head-on collision once, and finally arrived at our friend's Eric and Susan's place around 4:30 in the morning. The weekend was spent experiencing my first missions conference as an actual missionary. Overall it was a good weekend. On Monday I drove down to Birmingham to have lunch with the Missions Pastor of a church there that might support us in New Zealand. Then I hopped in the car and drove back to St. Louis and arrived just before midnight.

So now I'm back, recovering from travels, and enjoying seeing my beautiful wife again.










7 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Awww! You look so cute standing by your display table! Sorry I couldn't be there with you. I'm glad to have you back too! :)

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke,
Thanks for letting us get to know Travis and the ministry y'all are working toward. We are excited to pray for your work in Auckland and the people who will be called by God into your company with our Lord. My family really enjoyed having Travis in our home and are sorry that we missed meeting you.

Joe

 
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks joe. i really enjoyed being in your home and meeting you and your family. hopefully we'll be back down there in the future and brooke can meet y'all.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey trav!!!
glad to here it was only a near head on collision!!!

i cant wait for you to come visit us in NZ!!! YAY!!!

Neway gotta go finish my homework but just thought id say hi
Lots of love
Debs

 
At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks deb. i'm glad it was only a near head on as well.

hey, i tried to email you the other day and it got bounced back to me. i think i've got the wrong address for you.

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh tru, well brooke has the right one, maybe you could get it from her
Debs

 
At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Happy Birthday! I read this particular entry after you had posted the one about your birthday. I wanted to comment on this one because I've been interested in the psychology of tatooing. I've worked with a couple of indiviudals who are deeply involved in the community. What is your position on tatooing? I think that I agree with one of my professors from grad school that thought tatoos are visual expressions of unexpressable unconscious thoughts/feelings/experiences.

Neil Stafford

 

Post a Comment

<< Home