5.04.2007

lp returns

Okay so I began this week by putting up a post about how I don't update my blog more than once or twice a week and this is now my third post of the week. Oh well. I just found out that this video was available so I decided to put it up.

Linkin Park is one of those bands that people love to hate but I think they're pretty good. A lot of people tend to despise them because they're mainstream. I think that's ridiculous. It's a little dated but if you're interested I've written about why I think LP is worth paying attention here. Their new album comes out on May 15th and I'm very curious to see what it's like. This video is the first single off the album. It's nothing really new comparatively speaking but I'd say it's solid. The images in the video are pretty intense and typical fashion for LP videos your not quite sure if the video is leading to hope or despair until the final few seconds. Obviously due to my theological leanings I'm a big fan of the line from the chorus about letting mercy wash away what we've done.

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think.

6 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I think the video and lyrics (http://www.onlylyrics.com/song.php?id=1006805) are very interesting in terms of guilt and sin and redemption. In the video particularly, which catalogs the ills of the world pretty well, I think the final message is hopeful. I think the song/video a decent grasping of the problem of the human condition and it longs for hope. I don't know that they get entirely the extreme price that redemption costs, though, and indeed where that payment occurred. They do sing "To cross out what I’ve become," but I think it would be too much to read the actual cross into that, though I don't know. One way in which the video can be a challenge/spur to Christians, though, is to encourage us to remember/believe that the death of Christ is, indeed, about redeeming all of creation and not only human souls.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Second viewing notes. The juxtaposition of the starving man in Africa and the woman measuring her waist is really quite something. And the symmetry of the video itself is really quite hopeful. Finally, the boys are looking, well, less boyish and mature.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

neil, i agree with much of your assessment. i think the video in its entirety is an attempt at hope but you really wouldn't know it until the end. linkin park is one of those groups that i wish i could just sit down and chat with for a few hours. i also agree that their look is different but i was wondering what was up with all the leather.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Peter K. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Peter K. said...

Okay I read Travis' article/review of Meteora, and I don't have anything useful to add so I deleted my previous comment. You can delete these so they don't display.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger juanito said...

Musically, i'd say that it's along the lines we've come to expect -- catchy melodic pop-metal with really good production values. I wouldn't buy the album, but that's totally my issue, not Linkin Park's.

Lyrically, i'm impressed! Their first couple albums seemed well crafted but fairly shallow youngster angst... they seemed to focus on more private questions of identity or whatever. But this video made me cry. Just a little bit. When they showed the starving guy between the boy stuffing his face and the smooth belly with the measuring tape.

That's not necessarily deep, but it's certainly powerful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home