6.17.2007

gpc general assembly

I arrived safely in Dunedin last Wednesday around 4:30PM after about 30 hours of time spent in either an airport or an airplane. I spent a very weary first night with the Worth family and due to jet lag don't rememeber much of our conversations. They are a nice family that graciously put up with an incoherent, semi-conscious American. On Thursday night I went to out to Waihola (pronounced: Why-hole-uh) where the General Assembly (GA) of Grace Presbyterian Church was being held. For my non-Presbyterian friends General Assembly is the annual gathering of church leaders within a presbyterian denominations.

The GA went well with much good discussion on issues relevant to the ministry of GPC throughout New Zealand. On Friday I was asked to address the Assembly regarding the work we are hoping to do in central Auckland. Those present asked good questions and they responded well to what I had to say. The GA then prayed for us and for this future work. There was also plenty of time over the two and a half days to catch up with old friends and make some new ones. I greatly appreciate the fact that the GPC is still at the size where the GA can take time for genuine fellowship as well as meaningful discussion of issues. Overall the tone of the meeting was warm and irenic.

After GA was over I spent Saturday and Sunday with the Jopson family (Neville, Jan, Kristine, and Michael). We had a great couple of days with each other. We enjoyed good conversation, a few games, and much laughter. The highlight for me was that Neville makes a nice coffee, and likes to drink it almost as much as I do. On Sunday evening I preached at Grace Bible Church in Dunedin. Monday morning I jumped back into a plane and flew to Auckland where I will be until the 29th.

Okay, I think that's about it as far as catching everyone up. I should have regular access to the internet for the rest of my time here so I will try to keep the blog updated with shorter posts. (I had several pictures I was planning to put up but for some reason they're not showing. I'll just have to put them up later. Sorry.)

4 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to read your latest update and I am so glad that you are able to use the word irenic in context! I had to look it up again:)

Grace and peace,
Nathan

HAHA! I actually read and posted on a blog...and its yours no less.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i am truly honored. how's texas going?

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Texas is fantastic so far...i must confess. Things are going quite well but too much to talk about here. I will email you soon i hope. I preached today for the first time and it felt great to preach again...you should be able to download the sermon in a few days and i will send you the link. would love to hear your thoughts on it. Great to hear about your sermon...the Lord be with you in your preparation and your exams!

Peace,
n

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home